I was out in the yard this morning when I spied this leaf on top of an accumulated under a shrub in a hard to reach location so of course I just had to have a picture. Sadly my 100mm macro is at Canon for repairs; this is the third time I've sent it in, not through any fault of the lens, but because I use it so often that when a lens gets abused it is a likely candidate. I almost gave up on the idea but then remembers my extension tubes, Canon makes two and I have both of them but of course I couldn't locate the 25mm tube which always sits on my desk. It was probably put some place clever where it wouldn't be in the way and where I could possibly miss it which is why I ended up using the 12mm tube after a half-hour of fruitless searching.
What drew my attention about this leaf was the color, the contrast between the areas riddled by decay and those yet untouched, and of course that perfectly formed beads of water. It may not have the best composition and the magnification isn't what I wanted but I like it despite the flaws.
This image was also the result of experimentation with luminosity masks. It took a bit of trial-and-error and I might have gone a little overboard but I like the effect. All these tools have a learning curve and for the first image to benefit (or suffer) from my experimentation it was a lot of fun and very rewarding.
Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon 24-70/f2.8L with EF 12mm Extension Tube
66mm, f22, 1/2 sec @ 100 ISO